Subject: [Leica] Re: M8 whining
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Thu Sep 14 15:05:12 2006

On Sep 14, 2006, at 12:02 PM, B.D. wrote:

> For literally
> years now we've been hearing that if Leica ever produces a digital
> M it had
> damn well better be a clone of a film M with electronics stuffed
> into it.
> Well, from the looks of things, Leica has come as close as is
> physically
> possible to doing just that. So what do we get here? Whining that, in
> effect, the camera has the 'faults' of an M. Well DUH! You asked for a
> digital M - and you got a digital M!

Yeah, B.D. But we wanted a full frame sensor not a 2/3rds compromise.
If Canon could do it, why not Leica with its superior teutonic
engineering. The M8 wastes all that lovely corner to corner
resolution and contrast that Leica spent so many years cramming into
its lenses. I would even stop bitching about the lousy ergonomics if
they had delivered the full frame sensor. While waiting for a real
digital M, I use film in my old fashioned mechanical Leicas. I've
even learned to love my cheapie Olympus E-Volt 500 and the adapter
that lets me use all my fine Olympus OM lenses on the camera. Leica
might as well rebadge lenses from Olympus and adopt the 4/3 format. ;-)

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from bd at bdcolenphoto.com (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Re: M8 whining)
Reply from jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier) ([Leica] Re: M8 whining)
Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] Re: M8 whining)