Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica] M8 lens dilemma
From: freakscene at weirdness.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Mon Sep 11 01:38:11 2006

>So what are yunz (Pittsburghese for 'you-all') planning to do for the
>equivalent of a 35 on a film M?
>The 24 Elmarit-ASPH becomes a 32, and a 28 becomes a 37.

The Zeiss 25 is probably the closest match focal-length wise.? I'm planning
to get a 35/1.2 for the speed - a Nocti has been my standard lens on my M7
for some time.  For a 35 I'm undecided.

>It should be easier to design a fast really wide lens for a small sensor

More different than easier.? The increased requirement for telecentricity
makes some of the optical design parameters more critical.? It certainly
makes keeping the fast lenses small, which Leica has been outstanding at in
the past, extremely tough.

Every time the relative angle of view is discussed between digital and 35mm
cameras, I marvel at the fact that no-one ever complained that medium format
cameras with (for example) an 80mm lens had a different angle of view to a
35mm camera with an 80mm lens.  I suppose that's because the lenses weren't
directly useable on the cameras of different format, but it still isn't much
of an issue.  With a 1.3x crop sensor, about half a step back makes
everything pretty much equivalent, unless you're a pedant, which a lot of
people clearly are.  As several folks here have pointe dout, it's not like
the RF frames are that accurate anyway . . .

Marty

--
Now you can search for products and services
http://search.mail.com

Replies: Reply from hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson) ([Leica] Re: Leica] M8 lens dilemma)