Subject: [Leica] Some days...
From: leica at rcmckee.com (R. Clayton McKee)
Date: Tue Sep 5 09:26:21 2006

On 5 Sep 2006 at 8:16, Ted Grant wrote:

> Scott I think you might have heard about the world class rodeo in
> Canada...
> "The Calgary Stampede?" Internationally renowned and it has nothing to do
> about "feeling so American!" It can also be rather dangerous to cover if
> you
> are allowed onto the infield with the riders..

I'm a little surprised, y'know, having to point this out to a
Canadian and all, but the Stampede is ABSOLUTELY an American event.

It's just not a US one.

And someday, budget permitting, I want to get up there to see it.
I'm a Texas boy after all... oughta be a helluva show.

> I noticed you presented this as a random thought. That's the best point...
> "random thought."

Well, it's random, for sure, but I'm not sure that as thoughts go
it's one I'd want to have.  Been There, Did That, and did NOT get run
down.  I'd be dead otherwise.

http://tinyurl.com/kxod2

(checking notes:  Canon F1, 24mm, 1/30 @ 4, 283 on cable)

Shot through the gate; when the gate started to open I ran along with
it into the next chute to the left so that the gate swung around and
covered the chute I was hiding in... and I held that gate closed
until that sonuvabuck was out of the arena, which I'm sure was vastly
amusing to the rest of the cowboys who do this stuff on a regular
basis.  Fortunately there wasn't an audience; this was a local rodeo,
kind of a warmup / qualifier for the real ones.

I got the shot, I got the story, and I'd just as soon not do that
again.  Going eyeball to eyeball with half a ton of pissed off pot
roast has its limitations as a fun thing.

> Best way to look at a rodeo? Buy my book on cowboys! ;-) "Men of the
> Saddle." It isn't available new, however I've seen a fair number on used
> books sites. Colour with B&W all about real cowboys.:-)

Well, Powell's hasn't been able to get a copy yet.... but someday.  --

R. Clayton McKee                           http://www.rcmckee.com
Photojournalist                               rcmckee@rcmckee.com
P O Box 571900                           voice/fax   713/783-3502
Houston, TX 77257-1900                   cell phone #  on request

Replies: Reply from eperea at walkereng.com (Emilio Perea) ([Leica] Some days...)