Subject: [Leica] holiday shots
From: philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent)
Date: Mon Sep 4 11:06:58 2006

Op 4-sep-06, om 14:53 heeft Eric het volgende geschreven:

> http://www.fullflavor.be/photography/Holiday/slides/F1020008.html
>
> I'm guessing this is some kind of tube.  I like the ambiguity.  It
> seems
> like the center bright spot is off center because of the way the
> lines of
> openings aren't perfectly symmetrical.  But yet, it is centered.  I
> like
> that.  This is very neat...I enjoy looking at it.  I'd hang this in my
> office if it were mine.  So what is it?  :)

It's the core of a double helicoid stairway designed by Leonardo Da
Vinci for Fran?ois 1 in the Chambord castle, France.
See also: http://www.travelgrotto.com/chambord.htm

A wonderful construction and, since I was just reading Da Vinci's
biography by Charles Nicholl at that time (very recommended: ISBN
9071206831), a treat to see the result of his genius at the end of
his life.

Message from ericm at pobox.com (Eric) ([Leica] holiday shots)