Subject: [Leica] Am I wasting my time/money?
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sat Sep 2 10:48:54 2006

Aram.. I want to be clear that there are a couple of places where you could
have problems....

The lens alignment.  The Question I ask is if the lens is properly centered
and working to spec.
The body alignment.  Here the issue is if the camera is working correctly in
the sense that the mirror box / focusing screen are
properly aligned and set up.
The Scanner.  I know almost nothing about scanners except that they are
electromechanical devices that are subject to alignment
errors.

One question that I am not sure of.... Is the negative sharp under a loupe
or other optical magnification?  No scanner involved.
This is a key question so look carefully.

The fact that the entire image is out of focus says something about the
likelihood of problems....Personally, I would look at the
scanner first.... then the body, finally the lens.  However, here are some
test suggestions......

Some simple tests...  Body and lens issues.....  If you have another lens (
makes no difference which) and you can get a good focus
with that lens but not the 35, then you must suspect the 35 for being out of
calibration.  If neither shot is sharp, then the issue
is either the scanner or the body alignment.  You can weed out the scanner
alignment by trying to scan something you know is
sharp....   If you try a 35mm Enlarger test target ( looks like a bunch of
lines on a 35mm neg in certain patterns.) that will prove
if your scanner is the problem.

There are a lot of good reasons digital is a good alternative to film.  But
before you make that plunge because you think some
digital camera is superior to a bunch of Leica lenses, best be sure of your
testing and analysis.  You may still take the digital
plunge, but at least you know that the Leica glass is still the / among the
best  in the world.

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net