Subject: [Leica] 50/1.5 Sonnar
From: rhc3vt at hotmail.com (Richard Coutant)
Date: Thu Aug 31 17:25:05 2006

I have used a wartime CZJ 1.5 Sonnar as the only lens on my IIIa for quite a
while now.  I wouldn't pay anything like $1000 for one, but it's a very fine
lens.  I have shot both b&w and color print film, and in my personal opinion
the color rendition is particularly attractive.  The prints have an aura
that can't be reproduced by more modern equipment, but at the same time the
contrast and definition doesn't suffer too badly.  I forget what I paid for
mine but I don't think it was more than a couple of hundred dollars.  Of
course, it's also a terrific low-light lens for b&w, wide open.

Richard