Subject: [Leica] Re: Read my lips - no new cameras (Gene DuPrey)
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun Aug 27 16:19:22 2006

Gene DuPrey wrote
Bob,
>> I would caution the use of slide film in Hawaii, as you will find  the
>> lightscale very wide and slide film does not have the latitude  to
>> capture it like print film.  My personnal opinion - I wasted alot  \of
>> shots on slide film and had much better results on print film.   Photo
>> possibilities are vast and you will need lots of film.  Have  a good time
>> out there.  We are planning a trip for next July.<<<

Bob Palmieri responded:
> Gene -
>
> Thanks for the good wishes and advice.  Based on the early responses  of
> you, Frank & Hoppy I'm beginning to think that this expedition  would be
> an ideal situation in which to try some of this "High  Dynamic Range
> Photography" I've been reading about, in which you  shoot a few snaps of
> the same scene on a 'pod at different exposures  and put them together in
> the All-Powerful Computer.<<<

Guys you see what's happening here?

Way too much knowledge fussing and fiddling!

What the hell do you think we did before computers and digi cameras were
born?  Screw all this nonsense just shoot away to your hearts content and
forget this techie "High Dynamic Range Photography" crap!

We shot slide film and came back with mind blowing images all the time, sure
we may have shot lots of frames, its called "bracketing!" And how often do
you hear that in digital?

Digi makes for an atmosphere to blaze away because it doesn't cost anything
and we can adjust in the computer so it never occurs to me to bracket where
I'd have done it time after time in the light of Hawaii shooting slide film!
Simply because that's the way it was done.

Hell digi and computers? There isn't any big deal because it can be fixed
like a spayed cat by computer keys and Photoshop, just shoot lots and don't
even think about it. ;-) Most important part?  Stop all the fussing and
thinking and just shoot away how you feel and have a hell of a good time and
forget the damn techie foolishness!

ted