Subject: [Leica] Re: Read my lips - no new cameras (Frank Filippone)
From: rpalmier at depaul.edu (bob palmieri)
Date: Sun Aug 27 11:42:53 2006

On Aug 27, 2006, Frank Fillippone wrote:

> Light is blistering hot.  12 zones type stuff.  Suggest using
> Velvia very early or very late on foliage in shade.  Otherwise it will
> get blown out.
>
> Hawaii is the realm of B+W which has more dynamic range to handle
> the hot areas and deep shadows.  If you must shoot color, I would
> suggest Fuji low contrast print films.
>
> BTW, where on Kauai?  I am leaving in 2 weeks for the Garden
> Island........must send off film this week to my intended
> destination.....
>
> Go to:
> Kilauea Lighthouse... On North tip of the Island, so Early or
> Late.... weird opening hours....
> Poipu Beach at sunset
> Overlook at Princeville for early morning... sunup + an hour or
> so.....
> Old Sugar Mill at Poipu
> Ditto at Lihue
> Salt Pond on a Saturday/Sunday morning to watch the folk farm the
> salt ponds
> Kee Beach at any time ( Bright )
> Limahuli Gardens
> Allerton Gardens
> Grove Farm Plantation Museum..... really nice tour
>
> I would say relax, but with these sites to see, you won't have time.
>
> Eat at..... Casa Di Amici in Poipu......
> Have a evening drink at the Beach Club Restaurant in Poipu.  Watch
> Sunset...
>
> Skip
> Movie tour
> Barking Sands
> Poipu  Beach to swim.....

Frank -

Thanks so much for the comprehensive rundown; you really seem to know
what's up over there (I've never been out that way myself.)  Yeah. I
will be shooting some slow B&W stuff - still trying to figure out
which filters to bring for that app...

Y'know, I just had a really bad experience with some C-41 stuff I
shot for someone out-of-town; they were kindof important and the
imaging (when the negs were viewed under the 30X or their scans
viewed at 100%) was shockingly ugly to me in a way that I never
recall seeing in slow E-6 stuff.

My wife & I will be on Kauai near the North Shore from September 6th
thru 12th - I was figuring I'd buy all my film (and have it
processed) over there.  We'll be staying near the North Shore - how
'bout you??

Bob Palmieri

Replies: Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Re: Read my lips - no new cameras (Frank Filippone))