Subject: [Leica] My impressions of the new 50/2 collapsible Heliar
From: jsmith342 at cox.net (Jeffery Smith)
Date: Sat Aug 26 09:11:05 2006

The R3M is very much like the R3A in appearance and build quality. The Zeiss
Ikon appears to me to have a brighter viewfinder (in fact, it appears to me
to have the brightest RF viewfinder I've ever seen). The Bessa shutter seems
a bit louder to me as well. If I were to have to settle on one or the other,
I'd probably go with the Zeiss Ikon, with this caveat. A few days after
getting the Zeiss Ikon, the shutter/film advance jammed. I set it back to
Hasselblad for repairs. They, in turn, sent it to Japan for repairs. As a
result, I didn't have it for several months. I've had a few issues with
Bessa/Zeiss Ikon shutters jamming. None of my recent Bessa jams have been
fatal, though. I've fiddled with knobs and the film advance. What seems to
"fix" it is a very small tug on the rivets on the shutter blades using a
dentist's pick (the curved, pointed one). But even if the jams are
self-repairable, I do lose the rest of the roll when the jam occurs.

Thanks for the kind words re: the blog.

Jeffery Smith
New Orleans, LA
http://www.400tx.com