Subject: [Leica] You can buy the Noctilux 50 1.2 on *bay...
From: imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George)
Date: Fri Aug 25 08:12:51 2006

In the case of the 1.2 Noctilux one would have to add to its values:
        1) Rarity - much like $5K wine
        2) Build quality - much like the $5K wine
        3) Brand - much like the $5K wine
And of course the "no emotional or financial investment" is really
the point. Expensive and high end items generally possess exceptional
qualities as well as small groups of folks willing and able to invest
emotion and money. And yes none of this has anything to do with, in
the case of lenses, with simply the image quality; and in the case of
wine, simply the taste (I'm not talking here of a $5 bottle - rather
comparing a $355 bottle with $5K bottle). In fact, now that I think
about about it - from what I hear the $5K bottles generally taste
like s--t and are valued almost purely on their rarity and legend. I
reckon the same would hold true for cars, boats, et al.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george@imagist.com

Replies: Reply from bd at bdcolenphoto.com (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] You can buy the Noctilux 50 1.2 on *bay...)