Subject: [Leica] OT: Driving the Blue Ridge Parkway - share your thoughts?
From: Thinkofcole at aol.com (Thinkofcole@aol.com)
Date: Tue Aug 22 08:18:10 2006

Ric, I truly hate I-40, I-95 and all the bumper-to-bumper roadways and
typically use the lesser roads where I can drive at 40 miles an hour without

creating a bottleneck but I still like the comfort of stopping when I want
to  stop
-- or at least knowing that if I want to stop there's a place to stop
somewhere not too far away...

When you're traveling with your wife -- as I do -- I want that luxury and
even on the so-called blue highways there are stops all along the way..

Some years ago, while somewhere around Detroit on business-pleasure, my
wife
and I decided to go back east, toward New Jersey, via the Canadian
roads...They were poor roads, some covered with mud and with very little
service...

When we got to eastern Canada, we hit modernity...Even so, when we headed
south, into Maine, we were delighted when we saw the Golden Arches of
McDonalds
-- not because of the food but because we were back in Civilization...Again,
I  love the beauty of the leaves turning golden and the leisure ways of slow

highways, but I still want my comforts...McDonalds ain't necessarily
comforts
but it's better that cockroaches crawling up the walls, as in one Maine
eatery  where we stopped...My wife didn't tell me until much later...

this is way OT but, since it came up... regards, bob cole

In a message dated 8/22/2006 11:02:32 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,