Subject: [Leica] Lens caps
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Wed Aug 16 09:07:15 2006

At 9:29 PM -0400 8/15/06, Tina Manley wrote:
>At 09:06 PM 8/15/2006, you wrote:
>>To each their own
>>
>>Walt
>
>Well, I have to add my two cents here.  I never use a lens cap.  I
>never use filters (why would you buy the best lens glass available
>and then shoot through a window pane!).  I always use lens hoods.
>Lens hoods are good enough to protect the lens from major damage.
>Wipe marks never hurt a Leica lens.  I think I read where the Leica
>guys grabbed steel wool and scrubbed a Noctilux to show how durable
>the coating is.  I use spit, hot breath, clean underwear, and shirt
>tales to clean my lenses. I've dipped them in rivers before, too.
>Lagavulin would work but I've never wanted to waste it.  If you do
>get marks on the front of the lens, don't think it will always
>degrade the image. I think Ted can tell you about hot metal frying
>spots into the front of one of his lenses and he kept using it.  In
>spite of my rough handling and extensive use, all of my lenses look
>as good as the day I bought them. They are very durable. Don't be
>afraid to use your lenses.  Why else would you buy them unless you
>are a collector?
>
>Tina

Thanks Tina. Saves me having to enter a full reply on this topic again.

And again.

And again.

:-)

:-)

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  |[ ]|     http://www.archiphoto.com

Message from walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson) ([Leica] Lens caps)
Message from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Lens caps)