Subject: [Leica] Lens caps
From: jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier)
Date: Tue Aug 15 18:38:07 2006

The early coatings were easily scratched and the coatings become more
fragile with age. Definitely use a protective filter with older
lenses. Marc can speak with more authority than I on when Leica
switched to decent lens coatings. All my lenses are fine with no
filters but I do cap them when not actually shooting. Twenty five
plus years and no problems yet.

Now for all those lenses with normal cleaning marks. Have you seen
how the average person looks after their gear? It is a wonder the
lens isn't knocked clean off before a few months time.

John Collier

Message from walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson) ([Leica] Lens caps)