Subject: [Leica] Re: Fisheye "cloud" lens
From: allen.graves at charter.net (Allen Graves)
Date: Tue Aug 15 20:21:32 2006

Nikon's history of the OP fisheye-Nikkor  mentions its use as a
weather camera lens giving a full vier of the sky as late asl  the
1960's.

"This camera was capable of capturing the sky-image above the horizon
in a single shot, and we widely used for meteorological observation
by the Meteorological Agency, National Defense Academy and NHK (Japan
Broadcasting Corporation).
 From September 1960 this system became available in our Japanese
catalogues as the "Camera with Fisheye Nikkor"."

http://www.nikon.co.jp/main/eng/portfolio/about/history/nikkor/n06_e.htm

Allen