Subject: [Leica] Re: Digital image longevity
From: jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier)
Date: Mon Aug 14 15:42:27 2006

The problem with CD and DVD discs is that there is "error fudging"
software used when reading them. As the errors pile up it gets to a
point where it is no longer possible to compensate for them: bingo
the file is unreadable. It is literally working fine one day and the
next nothing. The disc reading software should display how critical
the errors are getting so you could write the open file (not copy the
disc) to another disc or drive in time.

John Collier

Replies: Reply from lug at steveunsworth.co.uk (Steve Unsworth) ([Leica] Re: Digital image longevity)