Subject: [Leica] New Gallery
From: crgrbrts at verizon.net (Craig Roberts)
Date: Wed Aug 9 08:13:30 2006

When I lived in Gloucester I got to know some seagulls as individuals.
One -- a native of nearby Rockport, apparently -- I named Winston
because of his Churchillian bearing and demeanor. If a seagull could
smoke a cigar, he would have. This was one tough son of a gun who was
obviously the "alpha bird" of his flock.  One afternoon I was sitting on
the rocks pictured in the "Ant-Free Picnic" photo (many are actually
concrete slabs) sharing some tortilla chips with a few gulls when
Winston landed in their midst.  As he barked at them, the other gulls
backed off quickly leaving him to enjoy the  lunch  alone.  A minute or
so later a large female gull landed next to Winston.  This old gal must
have been his mate because Winston instantly dropped his food, leaving
it for her.  She then advanced towards me, snatching a chip out of in my
hand and then dragging the bag away.  It was the only time I left litter
on Cape Ann!

Craig

Replies: Reply from r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor) (Seagulls - Nasty Birds [was Re: [Leica] New Gallery])
Message from r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor) ([Leica] New Gallery)