Subject: [Leica] Just curious
From: dstella1 at ameritech.net (Dante Stella)
Date: Mon Aug 7 19:36:43 2006

If you want an empirical explanation of why I offer international
shipping but why it's not my first choice, here's a non-exhaustive
list of problems that are unique to international commerce.

1.      People who don't understand English have a hard time reading
descriptions.

2.      Paypal doesn't protect you on high-dollar items out of the country.

3.      Half the time you fill out an airmail parcel post customs form,
postal employees don't know what to do with them.

4.      It's impossible to insure packages to many international
destinations.

5.      If you have to file an international insurance claim, good luck.

6.      You get persistent requests for customs fraud from buyers in
countries with problematic/corrupt/venal customs regimes
(particularly England and Canada).

7.      Theft of packages, particularly with Global Priority Mail
(prioritaire).

8.      Through paypal, domestic shipping works through Internet-driven
labeling; everything else is waiting at the post-office.  Just what
you want to do for a $5 item.

If I had to rank countries as least and most problematic, Japan would
be at the top (fewest problems) and surprisingly, Canada would be at
the bottom (highest number of hangups).

Dante