Subject: [Leica] Harpo, RIP
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Thu Aug 3 23:33:42 2006

The best dog I've ever known is gone, my friend and companion of 13 years.

http://users.2alpha.com/~pklein/currentpics/HarpoLapBW5.jpg
http://users.2alpha.com/~pklein/currentpics/harpolean.htm
http://users.2alpha.com/~pklein/currentpics/paula_harpo.htm
http://users.2alpha.com/~pklein/E1/P4190807Harpo.jpg

Harpo was diagnosed with diabetes three years ago.  Katya and I managed to
keep him alive and happy for those three years despite the odds.  All it
took was insulin shots twice a day, a special diet, the same amount of
exercise each day, a lot of love, and mass quantities of  money to our
vet.  It was worth every bit of effort and every penny.

Harpo had a terrier-beagle heritage, with the most endearing combination of
terrier intelligence and feistiness, and beagle sweetness and eagerness to
please.  Once we got his blood sugar levels stable, he was pretty much the
same dog he'd always been. There were changes--no more table scraps, and no
more hiking in the mountains with us.  But he adjusted gracefully, and
still found joy in what he could do.  His condition required that he "go
out" frequently, and he learned to use a doggie door at age 10, proving
that you *can* teach an old dog new tricks.

Harpo was a "people dog." His greatest joy was just being with us and
participating in everything we did.  Once, during a walk with my in-laws,
he refused to go home with only my mother-in-law, sitting and refusing to
budge until my father-in-law came out of the library. This prompted my
father-in-law to proclaim ever after in his thick Russian accent, "Kharpo
hez femily values."  My mother-in-law called him an "exquisite creature."

Harpo loved everyone, licked everyone , and greeted his extra-special
friends with a cross between a howl, a yodel and a Wagnerian high C.  Every
evening when I came home from work, he would curve his body into a C-shape
and rub his side against me, making sure I knew I was the most important
person in the world. Most of my evening LUG posts were written with him
lying at my feet, or more likely, *on* them.

He was fine on Sunday, Monday he stopped eating. Tuesday he could barely
walk. Today a test result showed that his liver was failing rapidly,
probably a long-term result of the diabetes.  He had only a few days of
painful decline left if we did nothing, so we did the kind thing.  And I
did a lot of crying tonight.

--Peter

Replies: Reply from philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent) ([Leica] Harpo, RIP)
Reply from richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard) ([Leica] Harpo, RIP)