Subject: [Leica] re: charlotte observer fires dude for changing the sky
From: bd at bdcolenphoto.com (B. D. Colen)
Date: Thu Aug 3 14:36:01 2006

IF, news photos are supposed to be accurate representations of reality, then
I'd want to know what a news photographer was doing using an orange filter
for  a news photo with film or digital.

I know people have been making fun of this, and generally blowing it off -
or raising issues about 'crimes' committed by the NYTimes in the 1930s, for
Gd's sake, but I'm all for any attempts to ensure accuracy in reporting, be
that reporting visual or written. Ironically, standards in newspaper
photography have gotten much stricter over the past few decades, at
precisely the same time that newspapers as a whole have gone to hell in
ratty handbaskets. Obviously this clamping down has to do with the fact that
'cheating' is so damn easy - and hard to detect - in Photoshop, where is was
much harder to do, and easier to detect, in the darkroom. (Of course it was
also much more accepted when done in the darkroom - darkroom, and art
department, manipulation of images being par for the course 20 or 30 years
ago, as was setting up photos - a major crime at most papers today.