Subject: [Leica] OT: DSLR advice....Leica glass on 20D
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue Aug 1 08:52:38 2006

Kenneth Frazier said:
Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: DSLR advice....Leica glass on 20D
>> I'm having an attack of "digititis," feeling somewhat overwhelmed by
> the options available, AND by the process of learning how to use
> something new....<<<

Hi Padre,
Show no fear, whatever digi camera you purchase set it on auto everything
and have some fun first! :-) Never mind the zillion things the camera can
do,
it's not likely you'll need 1/10th of them. Yes lots of folks will tell you
the absolute opposite!

But by setting everything to auto right off, you are going to have fun and
looking at your digital pictures. Quite frankly a similar feeling to seeing
your first B&W print beginning to appear in the developer tray!;-)

Absolutely without question the first thing you'll want to see are some digi
exposures! Certainly without a bunch of fiddling and diddling killing
yourself trying to do many of the things the manual will offer.

Much better to see some results via auto everything, get the "hully-gullies"
in your tummy and be amazed at what fun it is.Once you're over this initial
fun phase then do the serious instruction manual learning stuff one step at
a time. Besides you don't need to know everything in the manual all at once!
Get the simple straight foreword stuff first, then when you wonder "if it'll
do this?" Get the manual out and learn it then.

It's far more beneficial to learn "when you really need to know" than
learning it just because it's in the manual and you don't require it at the
moment! You'll forget it.

"Learn when you need it and it will stay in your mind!"

It's all part of KISS! ;-) Yeah I know some of the others who are really
into the techie stuff will tell you other wise! Do you want to have fun and
success? Or do you want to get hung-up fiddling dials and stuff?

KISS! ;-)

ted

Replies: Reply from kennybod at mac.com (Kenneth Frazier) ([Leica] OT: DSLR advice....Leica glass on 20D)
Message from nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] OT: DSLR advice....Leica glass on 20D)