Subject: [Leica] basic older M lens question
From: rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Sat Jul 29 04:55:09 2006

Hoppy

I own a LTM Canon 3.5/135 (late version, black, not Serenar) I had acquired
for less than 100 bucks, original hood included. The lens is sharp, has a
soft bokeh, but there are two minus opoints I would not conceal:
- Contrast is a bit low - needs some postproduction pushing (in wet or
digital lab)
- when focusing, the front barrel with the aperture ring turns with -
something one really needs to get used with it. On my sample, the aperture
ring is additionally a bit stiff, so if I change the aperture, I need to
hold the focus barrel with the other hand if I want to keep the focus.

For occasional use the canon 135 is ok. But the Elmar 135 has definitely the
better handling. Depends a bit on your budget which you prefer.

I do not use the canon 135 on the M6 often because of the small viewfinder
area. It works much better on the Canon VT deluxe which has the genious
parallax correction system for external finders and an inbuilt rapidgrip.
This is my sports shooting RF gear...

Didier

Replies: Reply from hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson) ([Leica] basic older M lens question)