Subject: [Leica] Seattle shooting
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Sat Jul 29 01:35:53 2006

Slobodan, Steve:  Thanks to both of you for your concern.  LUG:  FYI.

What I know now is as of the 11:00 PM news Friday night, with some details
still sketchy or conflicting.  Here it is, from memory, forgive me if I
distort a detail or two.

About 4:00 this afternoon, a man walked into the Jewish Federation
office.  He waited until a staff member punched in their security code, and
pushed his way in.  A witness reported that he said, "I am a Muslim
American, I'm angry about Israel."  Then he started shooting with a
semi-automatic pistol.

He killed one woman and injured 5 others.  Two of those injured are in
satisfactory condition, three are critical.   One of the "satisfactory
condition" victims is in the early stages of pregnancy. She was shot in the
arm, both she and the baby are expected to be OK.   The three "criticals"
had wounds to the limbs and abdomen, and required surgery.

Victims' names not released yet, ages range from 19 - fortysomething (?).

The shooter called 911, told them what he'd done.  There's some conflicting
information about whether he said he had hostages, or if the cops simply
treated it as a hostage situation.  A cop at the communications center
talked him into surrendering.  He is of Pakistani origin, but is an
American citizen.  He lives in Pasco, one of the "Tri-Cities" on the
Eastern side of the Cascade mountains, home of Hanford and the Pacific
Northwest National Lab.

The shooter is "known" to law enforcement in the Tri-Cities.  He has some
record, but nothing violent, and is awaiting trial for "lewd conduct."  The
police/FBI so far are saying they think he acted alone.  My
speculation:  Sounds like a guy who already had a screw slightly loose, and
was driven over the edge by current events.  No information has been given
about what the shooter has said to police by way of explanation.

One synagogue official mentioned that there had been some non-specific
warnings about a possible non-specific threat earlier this week, whatever
that means.  Given the Lebanon situation, I'd be surprised if that were not
the case.  That may have nothing to do with the shooting.

Anyway, the "authorities" have contacted all synagogues and Jewish
organizations and advised them to be extra careful.  There are police
stationed at every synagogue in the area, and at mosques as well.  After
the shooting, the bomb squad did a sweep of several square blocks,
including every parked vehicle.  Area buildings were locked down for about
an hour or quickly evacuated.  Rush hour traffic was a mess, of
course.  There's no evidence so far of a wider plot, but the cops and FBI
are not kidding around.

The shooting was in the Belltown area, also known as the "Denny
Regrade."  It's just north of downtown Seattle.  I could walk there from my
office in 20 minutes.  I'm OK, I was nowhere near the  site when the
shooting happened.  I'm very upset, of course, as are all decent people.

--Peter