Subject: [Leica] "I'm an Endangered Species." BOOK & stories
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu Jul 27 07:50:04 2006

Ruben offered advice and assistance:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ruben" <ruben@rhodos.dk>

> Hi TED
>
> I am a publisher and have publsihed many high quality books on photography
> mostly with the priority with in artistic photography but also some books
> on photo journalisme.
>
> Publishing something on the Internet does not always mean that you can not
> publish it later in bookform - sometimes you will see that a web page or a
> blog have followers/fans that will be more then happy to own the project
> in bookform - makes the marketing easier<<<

Hello Rubin,
First an apology for not responding immediately and thank you very much for
offering advice and guidance. Certainly if I go through the growing pains of
"doing my own book" rather than a publishing house, such as the previous
medical books with FireFly Books in Toronto, Canada.

I did some years ago offer my first medical coffee table sized book "This is
Our Work" for sale on the LUG and over a weekend of the post, more than 100
copies were ordered from around the world. Amazing indeed.

So I imagine given the re-actions of the crew to the anecdotes posted this
past week and given there's a few hundred more wilder stories.;-) I can
appreciate a book might sell on the internet as previously, particularly on
photography.

> Doing a book though - you will have to prioritize the things the web can
> not do - print in the best possible quality - make the book a functional
> object that communicates with the user in a way the web can not.
>
> Make it something that you must have when first you have picked it up -
> hook up with designer or someone who really knows the how to optimize
> printing and at the same time can give the book typographic layout the
> does not try to overshine your work but indeed compliments it.<<

We'll try to balance the best of the stories with the best of the
photography creating a book one just can't put down until reaching the back
cover. And left with the feeling they want to do it all over again. :-)

> Should you get closer to a publishing deal you are more then welcome to
> contact me for a good advise<<<

Very kind of you good sir and thank you for your offer. I will surely keep
it in mind if I go through with this adventure.

When asked "Why don't you do your own book?" My usual reply is... "I'm a
photographer and I know how to do that with a bit of confidence, book
publishing on my own or other wise?" I almost go into panic mode for fear of
screwing up, as I see it as something far beyond my confidence and education
experince.

Cameras and pictue taking I know, although always learning. But anything
beyond that simply scares the daylights out of me. But we shall see! And due
to so much encouragement and assistance offered by the LUG crew at least I
know there's a family of guidance to call on.

Once again Ruben, thank you very much for your kindness in offering your
experince to make this happen.

regards,
ted

Replies: Reply from nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] "I'm an Endangered Species." BOOK & stories)