Subject: [Leica] Consensus on external hard drives
From: nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Thu Jul 20 21:35:20 2006

Hi Don,

Following Brian's advice regarding sizes (which he has posted before), I
buy the biggest drive that he considers safe. This used to mean 250 GB,
now upped to 400-500 GB, as he just wrote. I am on my third external
drive now. They are all connected to my PC but are always powered off
when I am not actually writing to them or retrieving files from them.
All my RAW files and TIFF files (which contain my adjustments) are on
these external HDs. In addition, I also burn them on DVDs so that I have
two copies of everything; and I keep the DVDs in my office so that if my
house burns down my images will still be available.

I also stay away from all backup utilities, especially ones that
compress the files--then you are dependent on operating systems and
software continuity. I just use the copy-paste commands, and I am sure
that my HDs will be readable by the next generation of Windows, or by
OSX if I migrate wholesale to the Mac. Logically, if I have no problems
reading files written by Windows onto my 2 GB USB stick when I plug in
that USB stick into my Powerbook, then the same should be true of a 200
GB hard drive.

Nathan

--
Nathan Wajsman