Subject: [Leica] Consensus on external hard drives
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Thu Jul 20 17:47:03 2006

I'm a Mac person as you know, but I don't think platform has much to
do with the solution. I have moved to externally mounted SATA drives -
500 GB. There are good cards to run them, the enclosures are cheap
since they really just provide power to the drive, and you can buy
bare drives over the internet from a variety of reputable dealers.
Being SATA you just plug in the cable to the drive from the SATA card
that mounts in your backplane and you're in business.

For me I had to wait for the PCI-express card for my quad G5 Mac but
it was worth the wait. The enclosure lets me mount two drives and set
them up as two drives or as a variety of RAID formats.

I like this solution a lot. It's better than an external FireWire or
USB drive since it's running at full speed and driven directly by the
internal card.

Adam Bridge