Subject: [Leica] fascinated by the flickr site
From: rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Fri Jul 14 12:28:37 2006

It's much more than a snaphot gallery. It's a big online community with
photography as main topic. Beside showing and sorting your pictures (it's
not reserved for snapshots only, but all kinds of photographs, btw!), you
can discuss, blog, make contacts, join or create special interest groups and
much more. I have an account there:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40833360@N00/

It has a lot of gallery features one must get used with it first. The contra
of such a site is that the loading times are often massively slowed down due
to the heavy server traffic and the huge amount of features. The whole thing
is one giant database (with literally millions of pictures) maintained by
dozens of engineers (or maybe hundreds since Yahoo bought it).

There are similar places, too, like http://www.smugmug.com (usually a little
bit faster in loading) or http://www.pbase.com (more basic, less community
features, sometimes gone #404)

Imagine the LUG in big, in young, and with all the newest bells & whistles,
then you get flickr. Nevertheless I prefer Brians saloon! There's definitely
no Ted at flickr that tells you his extremely appreciated "Photographer
Suggestions #1-3"!!!!

Cheers

Didier