Subject: [Leica] Net Media Success
From: Afterswift at aol.com (Afterswift@aol.com)
Date: Wed Jul 12 15:12:46 2006

In a message dated 7/12/06 1:29:44 PM, lug-request@leica-users.org writes:

> So it's almost asking... "Why bother paying for a subscription when I can
> read it for free on the screen before the paper arrives?" That eventually
> leads to, cancel subscription! And if this occurs in large numbers somebody
> is going to be paying for what we read on screen sooner or later. Or the
> newspaper goes belly-up. Maybe?
>
> ted
Google became a multi-billion dollar success not by charging the retail
viewer, but by selling ad space.
Yet the NYT is crying in its beer because although the Online Times is
making
money, the newsstand paper edition is losing readers and the Times wants to
cross-subsidize the paper edition by charging for the OLT as well. I won't
bite. I have to wade through the Times' pop up ads, which is payment enough
for
me.

Bob R