Subject: [Leica] re: how to appreciate the lousy photos of others (Kyle Cassidy)
From: rpalmier at depaul.edu (bob palmieri)
Date: Mon Jul 10 09:15:18 2006

Kyle wrote:

> did i ever tell you about the time that eggelston and i went to the
> amish farmers market together?

Actually, no; and I would have thought that this incident would have
come up when we were talking about that botched eye surgery that made
the career of a certain other photographer.

> he was buying goat cheese, by the pound, i have no freaking idea why,
> but we were in a huge rental car, you could have put a brass band in
> this thing, some sort of cadillac or somewhat from the 1970's

In fact, he needed a vehicle of this size to contain the copious
amounts of film it took for him to get those images "just right."
Also, when there weren't a lot of shopping carts handy he'd just shoot
snaps of the car.  That's why each fender and quarter panel was a
different color (ochre, chartreuse, mauve and rose pink, if I recall
correctly.)

> -- this was back in '85 or '86 and i wasn't sleeping a lot at the
> time, so it's a bit fuzzy -- anyway, he had all this damn goat cheese,
> maybe forty or fifty pounds of it. we'd drive down the road, all the
> while, his mouth is flapping conspiracy theories, UFO's, algier hiss,
> that kind of stuff, he'd see  a farmers market and slam on the brakes,
> skid us to the side of the road and leap out demanding freaking goat
> cheese. "do you have any goat cheese?!" he'd bellow, "i must have the
> goat cheese!" he'd throw wads of money at them. he didn't even count
> it anymore.

Doubtless a lasting subliminal aftereffect of having watched the
curious figure of "Uncle Tonnous (sp??) on all those episodes of "The
Danny Thomas Show" in the '60's.

>  It had been like this for days, half of the stuff was rancid, it
> smelled like we had a dead hooker in the trunk. he wanted!

And your intimate knowledge of deceased proximate prostitutes comes
from...???

>   to take all this goat cheese to Estes Kefauver's house -- give it to
> him with this crudely drawn birthday card he'd made back when we were
> staying in SoHo

Sleepless in Soho; I imagine this was a common condition during that
era for you Artise-type guys.  In fact, the ensuing delirium could well
be responsible for Eggie's forgetting the fact that Kefauver died in
1963.

> . we'd be going flat out through these backwater highways, blasting
> past buggies at 110, 115 miles an hour, the horses would go mad as we
> whipped past, the shock wave from just the air must have been
> incredible, but eggelston -- that was hardly enough for his psychotic
> mind, he'd always lay on the horn, BRAAAAP! and the horse would fly up
> into the air and before you could see the buggy completely tip over in
> the rear view, we were so far down the road it would have been
> impossible without binoculars anyway.

To his credit, he kept all the snapshots of these incidents in his
personal collection, out of the public eye.

> the point of this story is that eggelston had a camera around his
> neck, it was a nikon FE with a motor drive, he had the thing around
> his neck like Flav-a-Flave, wore it everywhere, with this crazy radio
> reciever attached to the top of it -- some rube goldberg device they
> made for him up at MIT, it looked like an alarm!
>   clock hidden in a loaf of bread. Anyway, there was this girl in Des M
> oins -- I can hardly call her a girl, she was about 45, but anyway,
> she was in an iron lung and had been since she was like 3 or 4, and
> all she ever did was stare up at the ceiling and watch "the price is
> right". she could move one finger, just one. and eggelston had given
> her this box with a radio antenna, and when she pushed that button,
> wherever he was in the country, that camera would go off. KACHING! and
> take a picture of whatever was in front of egg.

In fact, she wasn't the only one with a transmitter.

> it was the darndest thing i ever saw. but that's how we got his
> portfolio together. when we finally made it to Burnt Church,
> Tennissee, we had all the film developed and sorted by a gorilla at
> the zoo there and sent back to his agent. Wait, his agent might have
> been the gorilla, like i said, this is all a bit hazy ---

Did you happen to notice that little antenna outside of the cage?

Bob Palmieri