Subject: [Leica] RE Tale of Two Telyts Part Deax - The Evil Twin (bob palmieri)
From: telyt at telus.net (David Young)
Date: Sat Jul 8 07:37:26 2006

At 07/07/2006, you wrote:

>Bob, I looked again at this effect for my own education.
>
>I am more than ever convinced that this is a digital artifact we are seeing.
>

>When you enlarge the image so that the individual pixels are very blocky,
>(say 500%)you can see that the purple is a discrete and very even line at
>the edge of the blown highlight.
>
>Yet it is not present at all on the (very fine) highlight on the vertical
>edge of the leg. If this was an aberration in the analog info, I would have
>thought that there would be some other traces of it in the other areas.
>
>Along the edge of the log where the highlight is completely white the fringe
>is just about a perfect diagonal 4 pixel wide line. (1/1000th inch line in
>the scanned slide?????)
>

>I'd really be interested to hear the definitive outcome of this

Hi Hoppy!

I'd be interested, too!

However, before you write off this as a digital problem, please note
that I get the same results with the Telyt 400, in similar
situations.  Moreover, it is exacerbated by the use of my old SL
style 2x converter, which I use with the Telyt 400, most of the time.

Because of the tendency of digital to suffer blown highlights, it is
more noticeable, perhaps, with digital (I've had the problem with
both the Canon 20D and R8/DMR), it is still noticeable with film.

I do not get the same problems, in similar situations, when using,
say, the 80~200/4 Vario, even with the same 2x converter added, no
matter if it's film or digi.

That being said, in more evenly lit, or more normal contrast
situations, this is not a problem for the Telyt.

Cheers!
---

David Young,
Logan Lake, CANADA