Subject: [Leica] RE:Re: Colour Correction Assistance, Best Colour Film to Scan?
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Sat Jul 1 23:11:31 2006

Greg, I think that the colour variation is more likely to be from the
scanner, rather than anything intrinsic in the CN film. I routinely saw a
magenta? cast in scans before getting all of my devices properly colour
managed. Also, as you know prints from CN films can vary widely depending on
the lab that prints them too. That's another variable and subjective issue
to make you tear your hair out.
I'd suggest you scan some transparencies and see if you get similar results.
Obviously helpful if you have a calibrated light source to view the slides
for comparison.

Depending on how serious you get (and since you're on the LUG I'm thinking
fanatical)you can profile the scanner for the film type as well. Try out
Vuescan from Hamrick for free if you haven't already. I just profiled mine
(with the paid pro version) using an IT8 target made for Astia and Velvia
100F. The results are extremely accurate and repeatable, IMO.

I know there are some experienced scan gurus in the LUG (are you listening
Tina?) So perhaps some more advice will be forthcoming.

I think quite a few folk use the hybrid path of film capture then scan &
inkjet print. For me it's the very best solution. I don't know if there's
any sort of FAQ facility in the LUG, but this would be a great subject.

Keep shooting film and scanning those 21MP analog bad boys
(24x36mm @4000dpi)
Hoppy

Message: 5