Subject: [Leica] RE: Kodachrome lab to close in Europe (Tom Westbrook)LUG Digest, Vol 32, Issue 243
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Fri Jun 30 16:09:06 2006

Tom, probably mainly known to Australian LUG members, Kodak some time ago
closed their facility for Kodachrome processing (six weeks turnaround for
Swiss processing) and ceased importing the film here. The closed facilities
also included all paper and chemical manufacture. This was after large
Government tax assistance was accepted to keep the plant open, which just
delayed the closure.
Several of us still have the letter from Kodak, sent to users of the
processing. I think of it whenever I make a brand decision when buying film.

Certainly transparency and black and white film users will only now be a
subset of an already niche market. However a number of photographic concerns
are making a living servicing that niche. For big companies, I think there
are considerations regarding loyalty in both directions, market presence and
flagship products. Plan B is ignore that traditional customer base and those
products, and your self fulfilling prophecy is guaranteed. Still, only 20
million people in Australia, there'd never be enough niche customers to
retain, now would there?

Did I read correctly that the Swiss plant only employed 20 people and that
USA processing is currently outsourced?

Regards
Hoppy
Astia and Delta in my gadget bag