Subject: [Leica] was: I have to have this, now "mediocre"
From: SonC at aol.com (SonC@aol.com)
Date: Thu Jun 29 07:14:29 2006

In a message dated 6/29/2006 8:40:48 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
joelct@singnet.com.sg writes:

B. D.  Colen wrote:

>Of course what I really love is the fact that never  before in human history
>has so much expensive photo gear been used to  produce such mediocre photos
>week after week after week after  week

I don't see your point at all.  Mediocre is a subjective label, and to  cut
wide swath with a teeny little instrument like you just did is beneath  you.

What is not a pleasant photograph to you may be a winner in someone else's
eyes.  The past six years or so that I have been here and on other lists
have
taught me new ways of seeing through other's eyes.

It's funny to me, that when I post an unusual shot, I'll get comments
equally liking it and hating it.  Mostly, I get no comment at all, and it
surprises
me when I do get one.

Of course, if I do post an interesting shot that gets a few comments, you
or
someone else will hijack my subject line, and it will finally turn into a
conversation about the price of beets in Russia or something  else
completely
off-topic, pretty much like this one did.

There are many examples of hardware that is far more expensive put to
"useless" tasks.  Take an Indianapolis race car;  millions of dollars  spent
to go
500 miles and  end up (hopefully) in the same spot.

Other examples of non productive expensive things

Hot air balloons
Gaming Computers
Plasma TV sets
Formal Living Rooms

The list is long.   I don't shoot Leicas because I expect they  will make my
pictures better.  I shoot Leicas because I am a gear  snob.

Kyle says I am a conspicuous consumer because of my two M7's  but I love the
tactile feel of them.  I have been around Leicas since  I was a young
teenager, and now I can afford several  (albeit older  ones.)

People have priorities,  I drive a 1999 Plymouth.    You commute to work in
vehicle that costs several million  dollars.   I like being able to stop and
photograph a flower on the  way to work.  You are stuck with taking pictures
of the people who ride in  your car.

Regards,
Sonny
http://www.sonc.com