Subject: [Leica] Kyle,keep your powder dry
From: walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson)
Date: Tue Jun 27 07:06:10 2006

Kyle

You've done a great job but I'm curious  about what you see as a final
result. It does seem  as if what you've captured (albeit fantastically)
is only a small part of armed America. Reading through  the posts
certainly reinforces what a wise man once said about viewing images.
"Just shut up and look at the f***ing pictures" Can't remember his name
but he knew what can happen when we lose track of visual communication..

A good photograph is worth much more than 1000 words and with the
exception of B.D.'s verbal wang wacking ( :-P ) that seems evident in
the current discussion. I just want to throw a few ideas out which might
make the project a bit more representational? It won't hurt my feelings
if you tell me to mind my own business or maybe it will just a little.

1. Whoever mentioned rednecks and their pickups hit some kinda
nail....combine Billy Bob and his Ford and his dawg?
2. Try homieville....Saturday night specials stuck in the waistbands?
Remember the anonymous(and frightening) nature of the prisoners and
their weapons in the recent posts?
3. Uniformed police? Concentrate on what they're packing in a general
and generic sort of way. The weapon is the medium which is the message.
4. National guard?  Someone maintaining an armory, surrounded by dozens
of weapons.
5. A hunter with his "kill"?
6. Kids with BB guns. An early start on our inculcation.
7. People on the other side of the equation. Bullet wounds?, Those who
lost the gunfight? Bloody med workers in a big city ER?
8. Something saying the old west....Tombstones, funny things about
"gettin shot dead"? ( have to meditate on that :-\ )
9. Someone standing in their doorway with the proverbial big stick Much
of armed America may rely on this method of deterrence rather than
shootin irons. Quite honestly, by the time many of your subjects
decided  which of their fancy pieces to pick up it'd be all over. More
than likely they 'd be dead, the little lady raped, or maybe the kiddies
three rooms away would have sucking chest wounds from stray 9mm's.
10. Speaking of truckers, a driver standing in front of his big rig with
a .357 in his belt? Twightlight  at the local truckstop.

Keep at it, you're going to end up with a fine piece of work. Hope you
remember us all  on the LUG with a few autographed copies?

Walt

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Kyle,keep your powder dry)