Subject: [Leica] armed america --frustrating faults and limitations
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Mon Jun 26 16:08:09 2006

I'm personally not too sure on Steve's point of view - the fact that the
subjects so far actually wanted to be shown in their home settings with
their weapons is still something totally alien to people outside the
USA. The people themselves, their pets, their children, their
furnishings, the way they dress - and the reasons for owning weapons all
come together to show the rest of the world a slice of American
(sub?)culture, side to side and top to bottom..
IMO, it doesn't have to be a cross-section of US-Gun-Culture, just as
little as Martin Parr's British Holidaymakers are representative of
British tourists in toto.
Or his German garden pictures as a slice of Teutonic life - these people
are minorities - that makes them interesting for the public at large -
and to themselves exactly because they find themselves so perfectly normal.
You interest the one group and satisfy the other. The fact that the
pictures are strange to us, but not totally unknown, already removes the
label of voyeurism, so no problems on this point -  and  narcism (sp?)
doesn't seem to be a factor in most of the pictures either - the
subjects are showing, not showing off or threatening us, except perhaps
in a subtle subliminal attack on what WE consider to right, proper or
normal behaviour (but who are we to say).
If this were to be a series on truck drivers -would someone be getting
worried at a predominance of Mack's, White's or International's, or
somebody not wanting to show his/her semi-trailer?
Please try and see Kyle's wonderful work as a simple (not so simple,
perhaps) sampling of American society, without the connotations of pro
and contra armed private citizens - it doesn't really matter one way or
another.  The shots stand alone as, and as a series of,  fascinating
cameos showing us a view of private lives in parts of society to which
the majority of us has no access.
Most of all, Kyle's pictures give us a three-dimensional cross-section -
they show that we shouldn't be so bigoted as to say - "well, we all know
what gun-toters are like - hard drinking, sweaty , unshaven pit-bull
terrier owners driving dusty pickups"
These pictures are an eye-opener - disturbing but not threatening -
normal but outside our usual frame of reference.
Keep at it Kyle, don't worry - it's all very good the way it's going
cheers
Douglas