Subject: [Leica] Jeffery PAW week 23 - Cleanup Man
From: freakscene at weirdness.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Sat Jun 24 01:52:24 2006

Mike is absolutely right: various third party sellers definitely change
sourceds from time to time.

www.fortefilm.com now seems to re-direct to J&C Photo, though they used to
have their own website.? Their film and paper is manufactured in Vac,
Hungary.

Foma www.foma.cz/ is manufactured in Hradec Kr?lov?, Czech Republic.

Efke films www.efkefilm.com/ used to be made in Zagreb, Croatia, but the
factory moved to Samobor.  These films were (are?) made using the same
antiquated machinery and the same formulas that the Adox films were made
with in the 1950s and 60s.

The most confusing thing is that some re-packagers like Adox (trademark
owned by Fotoimpex, I think) sell Ekfe as their slow films, but what
appeared to be Ilford Pan 100 and Pan 400 (or maybe FP4 and HP5 - NOT the
'plus' versions) as some of their faster films.

The best bet with the third party films is to buy up big (they are cheap,
after all) and to test the first couple of rolls of a new batch.

How do the 35mm Foma and Forte films look in pyro Jeffery?  I've used MF and
LF films by these manufacturers in pyro developers before, but never in
35mm.  As I recall, Fortepan 200 can be amazingly grainy in pyrocatechol
developers, but that may be because of the very high pH and sudden
associated changes.  Let us know, please.

Marty

Forte is made in Hungary, Foma in the Czech Republic, and Efke in
Croatia.? To make things confusing they all sell under various private
labels as well as their own.? Some of these private brands have multiple
sources too.? I can't keep them straight either ;>)

Mike D

--

Replies: Reply from jsmith342 at cox.net (Jeffery Smith) ([Leica] Jeffery PAW week 23 - Cleanup Man)