Subject: [Leica] 24x36mm sensor for the RFDM
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Fri Jun 16 06:47:53 2006

Frank.. I have already agreed that Retrofocus designs are the way to go for
WA lenses.  But if the digital sensor were bigger, then
the lens would be bigger... and that was all I was saying......I went
looking at Olympus for some validation of any facts.....
Certainly I am looking on the wrong area in the Olympus site.. what I found
is this.....

 When you need wide angle lenses with great performance and fast apertures,
Zuiko Digital Wide Zoom lenses can deliver. The superb
optics are designed specifically for digital photography - delivering the
highest image quality - with their design highlighted by
two aspherical glass lens elements that help prevent aberrations and
distortions. These elements combine with new multi-coating on
the first two lenses, which contributes to the removal of ghost or glare
that can occur with a wide-angle lens, so clarity of images
is obtained at all distances. Floating focusing system results in close
focusing distance of 0.28m (11.02 inches) for close-up macro
shots. Ideal for professional use.

 Would someone please point me to the appropriate technical info instead of
what I found.. Marketing BS.

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

Hi Frank,
there has been a huge amount of discussion on the web about this over
the last 6 years or so. The technical argument in favour of
telecentric lenses for digital sensors is compelling. This leads to
large lenses. There is certainly something on the Olympus site to get
started with. It is not difficult to understand.
Frank

Replies: Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] 24x36mm sensor for the RFDM)