Subject: [Leica] Digital Leica M
From: rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Wed Jun 14 06:22:42 2006

Clive

The code is not physically required and you will be able to use the most
M/LTM mount lenses without code.

The identification is only needed to apply different in-camera software
settings (vignetting control, contrast, and so on), and will additionally be
added to the EXIF data. But you are right it is not really required as these
software-driven corrections can be done afterwards in the computer too.

Another reason, probably the more important, for the code, is to keep the
other M lens producers (ZI, CV) back. And I agree 95 euros for coding an old
lens might be considered as another Solms rip-off attempt to their most
loyal customers.

Didier

Replies: Reply from pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig) ([Leica] Digital Leica M)
Message from clive.moss at gmail.com (Clive Moss) ([Leica] Digital Leica M)