Subject: [Leica] Digital Leica M
From: schneiderpix at mac.com (Robert Schneider)
Date: Mon Jun 12 21:24:46 2006

What's your standard of comparison?  If it's to an R9-DMR combo, it's
a steal -- Full-frame 35mm, 16.7 megapixels, autofocus, 100% finder
view, a weather-sealed body built like a brick outhouse, a number of
outstanding, fast, image-stabilized lenses, etc., etc., right down to
being able to mount Leica R and Zeiss SLR lenses (granted, with
limitations).

And if you're comparing it to medium format backs?  Well, that's no
contest: The Canon is priced like a good used car, The MF backs are
priced like some nice new cars.

I don't doubt for minute that the M8 will be a solid digital
performer.  The technology is there.  But the pleasure of using M
glass and a rangefinder body will be, for me, mitigated by the 1.33
crop and the $5K tag.  Buying another 5D body instead would leave
about $2,500 for film and processing for my M bodies.

Call me when someone produces a digital rangefinder that lets my 35mm
lens act like a 35mm lens. . . .

rs

www.robertschneider.com
www.schneiderpix.com