Subject: [Leica] Re: LUG Digest, Vol 32, Issue 169
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Thu Jun 8 15:37:19 2006

Dan,

I find myself in much the same position as you. I gave up wet
processing of prints because I developed a persistent rash on my hands
which was diagnosed as a growing sensitivity to photo solutions.
Unfortunately, I was of the old school and couldn't keep my hands out
of the print tray. I used to rub spots on the prints to bring up
details by warming the chemicals with body heat. I still develop films
from a variety of old cameras in tanks. No chemical contact there.

I scan the negatives in a Minolta Dimage Elite 5400 scanner at 4000
lpi. The scanner was connected to a Mac G4 Powerbook, now to a 20" iMac
Intel Duo. The large files are burned to CDs. I print smaller B&W
prints on a letter sized Epson ink jet. When I get one I really like, I
take it to my local Kinkos and get a custom job on their large bed
printer. It costs almost as much as making a silver image but it is a
lot easier on my skin. The quality is good enough to exhibit (and win
an occasional prize) at regional photo shows.

But most of my photography is now digital, although I have a lifetime
collection of several thousand negatives to scan - if I ever get around
to it.

Incidentally, I have a brand new Bessler 23 enlarger, still in its
original box, in the basement. I never got around to installing it in
my now defunct darkroom. Any bids?

Larry Z