Subject: [Leica] Hybrid Imaging & Printing
From: richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard)
Date: Thu Jun 8 13:19:12 2006

Hi Dan, I have been scanning film since... 2003? First with mainly E-6, and
now mainly B&W. The rules of scanning B&W are:
- It CAN be done. There are lots of people who told you the grain
exaggeration, point light source, blah blah blah. Ignore them. Me, Steve
Unsworth and tons others have scanned millions of frames in total (OK, I
didn't really count) with supposedly "bad" scanners.

- a film scanner is better a flatbed scanner

- pay $40 or whatever it is for Vuescan. The user interface sux. Ignore the
"change of the week." Just d/l and buy one version and keep using that
unless there are good reasons to upgrade.

- with Vuescan, set the exposure to White balance, film type to generic
color, 16 bits Gray. Turn OFF infrared cleaning (or ICE in other scanner.
This is very important).

- Do keep your negs clean, clean, clean!

That's about it for scanning. For printing, it depends on what printer you
have now or which printers you want to buy... Well, I suppose that's true
with scanning too :-)

Give more specific and I will try to help.

use richard at imagecraft.com)