Subject: [Leica] PAWeek 21 and 22
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Wed May 31 11:42:19 2006

Jayanand Govindaraj <jgovindaraj@eth.net> wrote:

> ... the VR (or IS) is a godsend. It eliminates, to a large degree,
>  the lack of mobility and speed imposed by a tripod.

Jayanand, there are numerous ways to eliminate the tripod, an electronic
technology such as IS or VR is only one way.  What the IS or VR does not do
is take the weight of the camera out of your hands, and one unfortunate
thing it does is add a large number of air/glass surfaces in the optical
system.

Of course individual preferences vary, and I'm biased toward maximum tonal
gradation and color richness along with minimum flare so I prefer to use a
simpler optical system, stabilizing the setup with a monopod and shoulder
stock.  Not as portable as VR, not as battery-hungry, can be used with any
lens that has a rotating tripod collar, and while waiting for the precise
moment when the animal's head is turned the right way the camera's weight is
not in my hands.  I've used this rig at shutter speeds as slow as 1/15 sec
with the280mm lens with excellent results.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Replies: Reply from jgovindaraj at eth.net (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] PAWeek 21 and 22)