Subject: [Leica] Jeffery PAW 19 - nine months post-Katrina
From: jsmith342 at cox.net (Jeffery Smith)
Date: Mon May 29 09:58:22 2006

Ready to go? [shudder!]. Let's ask if they are staying put.

They have stopped rebuilding the 17th street canal breach, so it is probably
pretty sound. That only means the other parts of it are vulerable. They only
worked on the breach. They are partially done with locks separating the 17th
street canal from the lake. When those are closed, we will suffer the same
fate as Metairie (flooding from several feet of rain) during a hurricane.
They seem to be done with the breach site in the Industrial Canal (next to
the lower 9th ward). What does this all mean? I could mean that if there is
another category 5 hurricane, Metairie will get flooded (the levee on their
side of the canal hasn't been fortified), and the upper 9th ward (on the
other side of the Industrial Canal) will be vulnerable. Odd that they didn't
decide to build up the levee walls that didn't breach. It's a whole lot
easier to work on when you don't have to bring in sandbags by helicopter for
a month just to work on a tiny section.

Jeffery Smith
New Orleans, LA
http://www.400tx.com