Subject: [Leica] scanning old Kodachromes
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Sun May 28 01:31:48 2006

Folks I've recently started a new album and have received some helpful hints
and encouragement.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/analog-images

One or two people made comment on an old scan of an abandoned farmhouse.

One graciously shared with me what could be done with an 11X14 view camera.
(thanks a bunch Jim, more gear to lust after when I'm trying to fund more
Leica glass right now!)

For my interest and those helpful correspondents, I have located a similar
original from the same film.

The original was in fact Kodachrome64 (Curse you K, why can't I buy it
anymore?)

So, K64 about 20+yrs old, scanned with Nikon Coolscan V scanner.

Was late afternoon certainly, and I think UV filter but not Polarizer.

Both versions treated as identically as possible in PS; minimal crop for
format to A4 print, dust and scratch manually spot healed,

minimal sharpen, But one using ROC (restoration of colour) and one without.

I personally prefer the ROC version, but then for me K64 was always the
colour as you'd like it to be rather than perhaps as it was.

Really can't quite decide how much the original has faded. The curves &
saturation in each version are as scanned, minor B&W points compression.

Anyway I was surprised to see that the ICE3 Nikon Scan software would work
at all on Kodachrome.

Perhaps only the dust reduction doesn't work on K & B&W emulsions.

If anyone else has experience in using this scanner, especially with other
software, I'd love to hear from you. I have the supplied Nikon Scan 4.02 and
VueScan Pro.8.3.4.2

Specifically your workflow, especially from those folks who shoot a hundred
times more film than this amateur every year.

Cheers

Hoppy,

FNG

Replies: Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] scanning old Kodachromes)
Reply from jshul at comcast.net (Jim Shulman) ([Leica] Leica Technical Question--M7)
Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] scanning old Kodachromes)