Subject: [Leica] Re: Epson V700 (WAS: I got a new toy too!)
From: nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sat May 27 12:57:04 2006

This is a very preliminary report. I set up the scanner this morning and
am in the process of scanning 3 rolls of MF film while cooking dinner.
So far I like the scanner very much. I scan without any sharpening or
other corrections, preferring to do those in Photoshop later. But
looking at the raw scans in ACDSee, the ones from the V700 are clearly
better and sharper than those I got from the Epson 2450 I used before.
Also, the Epson software that came with the scanner is much better than
previous generations, and in fact that is what I am using, since the
latest version of Vuescan gave me all sorts of trouble--for example, it
insisted on scanning B&W negatives as if they were positives. This is
the first update of Vuescan that supports this scanner, so I expect that
future versions will be better, but in the meantime Epson Scan works
just fine.

The biggest improvement over the 2450 is in convenience--with the film
holder I can put in two strips for a total of 6 frames, whereas with the
2450 I had to fiddle with the film holder for every frame. And of course
the higher resolution is useful too--I have been scanning at 3200 ppi
today, which means that a 16-bit B&W file is 90 MB in size, and a colour
image is 3 times that. The maximum optical resolution is 6400 ppi, but I
think I need to increase the memory in my PC first :-)

Given the price (I paid 560 EUR incl. shipping) this is a great scanner,
and the first flatbed IMO which delivers good-quality film scans.

Nathan