Subject: [Leica] For History Buff's, An OT Subject We've Never Discussed
From: gregj.lorenzo at shaw.ca (GREG LORENZO)
Date: Fri May 26 18:32:50 2006

Douglas Sharp writes:

> GREG LORENZO wrote:
>

> >Wonder how it's going to end?
> >

> Didn't someone say "I wish it were night, or that the Prussians would
> come", Wellington waiting for Cumberland I think ;-)
> Douglas

Douglas,

I believe that regiment (an all volunteer Hanoverian Hussar Regiment in
service with the British) reportly left the field at Waterloo early in the
battle. In most armies desertion in the face of the enemy could get you shot.

Don't know what Wellington did with them or their Colonel afterward, but
mounted horse regiments were usually made up by the nobility (paid for theur
own equipment and horses) in Napoleonic times so probably they would have no
little political influence. So probably nothing.

I'll have to see what Bowden's tome has to say about their make-up and
comportment.

Regards,

Greg

Replies: Reply from douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp) ([Leica] For History Buff's, An OT Subject We've Never Discussed)