Subject: [Leica] re: 50mm lens and Crawdads Redux
From: msmall at infionline.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Thu May 25 14:04:05 2006

At 09:24 PM 5/24/06 -0500, Jeffery Smith wrote:
>I like the older glass and the older look. I've had mixed luck with the
>Russian lenses (some of them have some poor threads, I can't get them
>completely on the body). But I seem to be a non-asph person. And I hold in
>the highest esteem good shots taken with humble equipment over good shots
>taken with the best. Sometimes, Daniel makes me feel downright worthless
>when he blows me away with Russian optics or a Rolleicord.

Jefrey, my lad!

Much as I love you, allow me to remind you that, had I taken you to raise,
I'd have taught you to steal, crawdads, if naught else.  <he grins>.

Prewar Soviet/Post-Soviet (SPS) lenses do have a lot of threading problems
as the Soviets could not believe that the actual thread of true LTM is 39mm
by 26 turns-per-inch Whitworth.  But I am not aware of any threading
problems with Postwar lenses thought, of course, I'm interested in further
information -- lens type, factory, and the like.  I will attempt to collate
your date and to share it with the scholars of these breeds.

Someone did ask how those of us in the Appalachians ate crawdads.  We "bite
them in the ass and sick out their brains", a phrase first mentioned in the
Pittsburgh Post back around 1885, with the asterisks appropriate for that
era.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!