Subject: [Leica] re: 50mm lens
From: gregj.lorenzo at shaw.ca (GREG LORENZO)
Date: Wed May 24 18:51:38 2006

Don Dory writes:

> When you go into the photo collections of museums and look at the
> imagestaken forty/fifty years ago many of them are quite sharp. I
> don't think that time machines had been invented yet so the lenses must
> have
> been at least OK.  :)

Virtually all of my Leica lenses from the early 1950's are both sharp and
provide a unique signature. They impart a look that you just aren't going to
get from the modern glass and non digital glass. I wouldn't trade my 1959
35/2 or my 1967 DR Summicron for the current asph lens.

There is occasion ranting about these lenses on the list, but if you look at
who's doing the ranting you realize pretty quickly that they've never used
the older glass.

Regards,

Greg

Replies: Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] re: 50mm lens)