Subject: [Leica] color blind...
From: allen.graves at charter.net (Allen Graves)
Date: Wed May 24 04:56:57 2006

Chloroquine (used for treating malaria) and its cousin, Plaquenil
(hydroxychloroquine)-used for treating rheumatologic disorders like
lupus- can also cause color blindness.

When I use ethambutol  the normal screening for retinal toxicity is
to check color vision IF the drug is going to be used for more than 2
or 3 months. It takes several months for toxicity to develop and it
is usually reversible if detected early. Screening is usually every
month or two after the first 3 months. If  is continued too long
after toxicity develops it can cause macular degeneration. We usually
use ethambutol for 2 months and then discontinue it.

The risk of toxicity from ethambutol is quite small compared to the
risk of dying from untreated drug-resistant tuberculosis.

I've never used chloroquine for long enough to have to bother with
vision screening. Patients on Plaquenil are usually screened every 6
months or so.

As far as I know, the mechanism of ethamutol toxicity is direct
toxicity to the retinal receptor cells. The cones, which detect
color, seem to be more sensitive and develop problems earlier (if
problems are going to develop-I've only seen this once), allowing
color vision to be used as a screening tool.

I am unable to find any problems with color  blindness caused by the
sort of antibiotics used for sepsis.

Allen