Subject: WAS Re: [Leica] Re: Evil religion..NOW,Can we take this to the Forum
From: msmall at aya.yale.edu (Marc James Small)
Date: Thu May 18 18:56:47 2006

Would you people PLEASE quit this talk.  It has nothing to do with Leica
and it just clogs the LUG with bogus comments.

I am a conservative (that is, I am a believer in the Apostolic Succession)
Christian but I also follow Matthew's charge that we lead by example and
not by insistence.  That has nothing to do with this other than to
establish my doctrinal distance from those such as the Pope of Lynchburg or
the son of my late acquaintance, Senator Robertson of Virginia.

You folks with the quick condemnation ought to spend some time imbibing the
details of Christain theology.  I would suggest that you start with Dean
Pelikan's five-volume set on the development of Christian theology;  I met
Jaroslav Pelikan twice while he was writing this and he put his best
efforts into it, and a fine and neutral volume it is.  I have little time
for radical Protestant thought but, at the same time, Pelikan acknowledged
the efficacy of the Baptists and Methodists and southern Lutherans in the
growth of Christian doctrince, a position I probably would not have taken
had I written a similar work.

Quick condemnation with a flick comment is not a response to the points
these New Age Gospelers are raising, nor is dismissal.  They are winning
over increasingly large staples of middle America, and you guys want to
respond with a quick quip.  This will not work.  You have to know the Bible
and the doctrine and the talk to counter them, and they ought to be
countered -- again, I am about as conservative a Christian as you will meet
and find the doings in the US Episcopal Church more than a bit stinky, but
that is not of which I am speaking.

I hate all tyranny.  I detest ideologic tyrannies more than any others, as
I will be the fellow who makes the cute comment and finds himself at the
wrong end of a 9mm Baretta.  I reject all tyranny over the soul of man, as
Jefferson, from his rather warped viewpoint, suggested.

I do not subscribe to the Leica Forum.  I did so, briefly, after its
creation, but discovered it to be a hell-hole of statist folks whose
primary interest was to crank up my taxes and to reduce my freedoms and
liberties, so I rapidly left their number.  But this discussion really
ought to be taken over there.

Those wishing to respond to this are asked to do so in private e-mail and
not to the List.  Those who wish to vent in response are asked to do so on
the Forum and not on the LUG.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!