Subject: [Leica] Big Stock Sale
From: images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley)
Date: Sun May 14 14:43:15 2006

I got too excited and answered too fast.  RF stands for Royalty Free.
RM is Rights Managed.
L is Licensed.
RP is Rights Protected.

The only thing worse than Royalty Free is Micro-stock which sells for
about 25 cents a download :-(
This stock stuff is very complicated!

Tina

At 05:21 PM 5/14/2006, you wrote:

>What is "RF"?  Restriction-Free?  Rights-Free?  RipoFf?
>
>g.

Rights Free.  Some stock photographers sell all rights to their
photos based only on size.  If a company buys the rights to use a
particular photo, they can use that photo as many times and in as
many ways as they want.  It's how several computer companies ended up
using the same photo of a college girl in a knit hat to advertise
their product. It can be embarrassing and is not done by any
photographer with any respect for his/her work.  You can read all
about RF and the fight against it at the Stock Artists Alliance website:
http://www.stockartistsalliance.org/
Especially their White Paper on Stock Licensing Models:
http://www.stockartistsalliance.org/info/news/reports.htm#

Sorry but I get passionate about people giving away my livelihood and
ruining the stock photography profession for some quick money with no
thought for the future!! :-(

Tina

Replies: Reply from jshul at comcast.net (Jim Shulman) ([Leica] Big Stock Sale)